The Ultimate Gym-Bag Checklist: What to Pack for a Successful Workout
When it comes to hitting the gym, the last thing you want to worry about is whether or not you have everything you need. A well-stocked gym bag can make all the difference in having a successful workout.
While many gyms will already be equipped with items like weights, resistance bands, and foam rollers, it’s always a good idea to have your own personal set. Not only will you know that you have what you need for a successful workout, but you also won’t have to worry about sharing equipment with others.
Having your own equipment also allows you to personalize your workout routine, and ensures that you have the right tools for your specific needs. Additionally, owning your own equipment means that you can take it with you wherever you go, whether you’re working out at home or at a friend’s house. Having your own gym essentials also means you can use them whenever you want and don’t have to worry about the gym’s schedule or wait for other people to finish using the equipment.
From the right shoes to the perfect playlist, here is the ultimate gym-bag checklist to ensure that you have everything you need for a great workout.
Quality workout shoes
A good pair of gym shoes is essential for any workout. They provide support for your feet and help protect them from injury. Make sure to choose a pair that is appropriate for your workout of choice, whether it be running, weightlifting or cardio. Arriving in flip flops is fun and all, but we do not encourage hitting the treadmill while wearing these.
Comfortable workout clothes & accessories
You’ll want to wear clothes that are comfortable and allow you to move freely. Avoid cotton clothing as it absorbs sweat and can become heavy and uncomfortable. Opt for moisture-wicking fabrics that will keep you dry and cool.
From head-to-toe, you’ll want to plan ahead. Adding on – and this is something that I’ve forgotten on too many occasions – a trusty hair tie that won’t disappear halfway through the workout is definitely something to have in the workout bag.
A water bottle
Another item for your bag essentials: A water bottle! Don’t forget – Staying hydrated is crucial for any workout. Pack a reusable water bottle to ensure that you have enough water to last through your entire workout.
A microfiber towel & hygiene accessories
Sweating is a natural part of working out, but it’s important to wipe it away to avoid slipping and to maintain good hygiene. Having multiple gym towels available means you can have one towel to wipe away sweat during your workout, and then another for the well-deserved, post-workout shower.
On that note – soap, deodorant and shower shoes may also be an advised accompaniment to your workout bag.
If you’re skipping the shower altogether, then consider at least carrying some dry shampoo with you!
Headphones or earbuds for your favorite podcast & playlist
Music can be a great motivator during a workout. Pack your headphones or earbuds to listen to your favorite playlist or podcast while you exercise. A good workout playlist should have a mix of upbeat and fast-paced songs to keep you energized during your workout. Here are some examples of songs that might be included in the perfect workout playlist for the gym:
- “Lose Yourself” by Eminem
- “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
- “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor
- “Stronger” by Kanye West
- “Push It” by Salt-N-Pepa
- “Till I Collapse” by Eminem
- “Jump” by Van Halen
- “All I Do Is Win” by DJ Khaled
- “Sicko Mode” by Travis Scott
- “Pump It” by Black Eyed Peas
Of course, everyone has their own preference when it comes to music, so feel free to personalize your workout playlist with songs that motivate and inspire you to push harder during your workout.
Resistance bands or weights
If you’re looking to add some resistance to your workout, pack a set of resistance bands or weights. They are small and easy to pack, but can add a lot of variety to your workout routine.
Resistance bands are an important tool for a workout because they provide an effective way to add resistance to your exercises without the need for weights or equipment. They are versatile and can be used to target specific muscle groups and can be used to increase strength, flexibility, and balance.
Here are some of the ways resistance bands can be used in a workout:
- Strength Training: Resistance bands can be used to add resistance to exercises such as bicep curls, tricep extensions, and leg press. They can also be used to create resistance while doing bodyweight exercises like push-ups and squats.
- Stretching: Resistance bands can be used to increase flexibility by adding resistance to stretches. This can help to improve range of motion and reduce the risk of injury.
- Rehabilitation: Resistance bands can be used to help rehabilitate injuries by providing a controlled and gradual resistance to the affected muscle or joint.
- Core Training: Resistance bands can be used to target the core muscles by adding resistance to exercises such as crunches and leg raises.
- Full-body workout: Resistance bands are also great for full-body workout as they can be used for exercises that target multiple muscle groups at once, such as rows, deadlifts, and lunges.
They are portable, lightweight, and easy to use and are great for people of all fitness levels. They are also cost-effective, making them a great addition to any home gym.
Boost Oxygen aanvullende zuurstof
Having some extra oxygen can help during high-intensity workouts, help to increase endurance and help to speed up recovery after workout. Boost Oxygen is portable, easy to use and with multiple size options, it can be a great addition to your gym bag.
Protein powder, bars, snacks or smoothies!
Having some protein ready for after your workout to help with muscle recovery and to keep you fueled.
When looking for gym-workout protein bars or snacks, there are a few things to consider in order to make sure you’re getting the best fuel for your body.
- Protein: The main purpose of a protein bar or snack is to provide protein to your body. The protein will help to repair and build muscle after a workout. Look for bars or snacks that have at least 10-20 grams of protein per serving.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are an important source of energy for your body. Look for bars or snacks that have a balance of carbohydrates and protein.
- Low sugar: While some natural sugar is okay, try to avoid bars or snacks that are high in added sugars. These can cause spikes in blood sugar and can lead to feelings of fatigue.
- Whole food-based ingredients: Try to look for bars or snacks that are made with whole food-based ingredients such as nuts, seeds, and dried fruits, rather than processed ingredients.
- Nutritional balance: Pay attention to the overall nutritional balance of the bar or snack! Look for a strong balance of macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein and fats) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) to ensure you are getting a well-rounded snack.
- Taste and texture: It’s important to look for bars or snacks that taste good and have a texture that you enjoy so you will be more likely to eat them.
- Allergen-free: If you have any allergies, it’s important to look for bars or snacks that are free of the allergens you need to avoid.
A gym lock
If you’re going to a gym that requires a lock for your locker, pack one to ensure that your belongings are safe.
A travel size foam roller or massage ball
Foam rollers and massage balls can be great for post-workout recovery. Just like supplemental oxygen, a well-used foam roller can help to alleviate muscle soreness, increase flexibility and improve blood flow.
A heart rate monitor
Another important item to include in your gym-bag is a heart rate monitor. A heart rate monitor can help you to track your cardiovascular fitness and monitor the intensity of your workout. It’s an effective tool for both cardio and strength training and can help you to reach your fitness goals more efficiently.
A heart rate monitor can help you to:
- Track your progress: By monitoring your heart rate, you can see how your fitness level is improving over time.
- Target your training zone: By understanding your heart rate zones, you can make sure that you are working out at the right intensity for your goals.
- Improve your endurance: By monitoring your heart rate during cardio exercises, you can make sure that you are working out at the right intensity to improve your endurance.
- Recovery: Heart rate monitor can also be used to measure your recovery after workout by measuring your heart rate variability.
- Sleep monitoring: Many heart rate monitors come with the feature of sleep monitoring which can be helpful in understanding how well you are sleeping and how it might be impacting your overall health.
There are many different types of heart rate monitors available, from basic models that simply track your heart rate to more advanced models that provide additional features such as GPS tracking and workout tracking. Look for one that has the features that best suit your needs.
A gym bag
A gym bag is the most obvious item on the list, but it’s important to have a bag that is large enough to hold all of your gym essentials, yet easy enough to carry.
Hit the Gym!
By following this ultimate gym-bag checklist, you’ll be sure to have everything you need for a successful workout. Remember to pack your bag the night before and to check it before leaving the house to make sure you have everything you need. Happy workout!